Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Eagle

    Standing on the edge of that sheer coastal cliff, I heard the waves crashing against its base.  The green grass on the cliff’s edge was soft under my bare feet that day.  I stood gazing out at the endless ocean spread out before me.  The beauty of God’s creation overwhelmed me.
    I looked up at the blue sky and saw a golden eagle circling high above.  He was the largest animal I had ever seen, and he was coming steadily closer.  For some strange reason, I began to feel guilty of everything I had done.  The eagle kept coming lower and closer.
    I fell to my knees crying over my guilt.  I was unworthy of God’s love.  I had completely rejected him.  The eagle finally landed in front of me, shaking the earth with his weight.  I didn’t dare look up.  He was a messenger from God to me to shame me for my sin.
    Finally, when he didn’t do anything, I looked up at the amazing creature.  It was a rich golden brown color and its beak and talons seemed to be made out of pure gold.  Its eyes were a startling blue, in complete contrast to the rest of the colors.  Its whole being seemed to shine with a light all its own.
    It turned its head and looked at me piercingly with a brilliant blue eye.  I hung my head in shame and began to cry again.  I could think of nothing else but my guilt and shame.
    When I finally dared to look up again, the eagle was gone.  In its place stood a boy dressed in a white robe crying.  He walked over to where I was, hugged me, and began to cry.  I hugged him back, trying to console him and comfort him a little.  We sat that way, hugging and crying with our eyes closed, for a couple of minutes.
    I heard a rustling all around us after we stayed there for a little bit.  I opened my eyes and looked up to see the eagle wrap his huge, powerful wings around us.  His piercing eyes were closed and there were tears on his cheeks.
    I can only imagine the sight of us on that cliff.  A grown man kneeling, hugging a crying child and crying himself, surrounded by the powerful wings of a gigantic golden eagle on the edge of cliff with golden mist flying in the air from the waves crashing far below.

No comments:

Post a Comment