Saturday, December 17, 2011

Your Big Backyard

    I sat in my backyard, at about 8 o’clock at night.  As I tried to receive data from my senses, I was amazed at all that was going on!  All my senses had to work hard to assimilate everything that was going on.
    There were only a few tastes in my backyard.  I tasted some phlegm in my mouth at one point when I coughed.  I also tasted a slight, acrid taste I attributed to smoke near the end.
    There were more smells than there were tastes, however.  There was a wintery smell in the air.  Also, there was a slight smell of dog feces and a smoky smell.  Along with this, I smelled the scent of some of the flowers in the yard.
    There were many sensations of touch in that hour I sat in my backyard.  It was cold out that night.  The wind was cold, as well, and even cooled off my pen when I held it against my face.  Since it was cold, I shivered more than once, and tried to keep warm by bouncing my legs.  The chair I was sitting in was soft and comfortable.  At one point, I coughed, hurting my chest.  Near the end, I was getting really tired and stretched, causing my sternum to crack.
    I also felt many kinesthetic sensations in that hour.  I felt comfortable in the surroundings of the backyard.  I was feeling pretty hungry during that time, as well.  Near the end, I was feeling bored and thirsty.
    I heard a lot of things in the hour I was seated there.  Throughout the entire hour, there were dogs barking, whistles sounding, and car horns blaring in the distance.  I also heard, at irregular intervals, water trickling in the distance.  Motor and car noises were almost constant, especially car alarms.  At one point, I heard an automatic car garage opening and then some tires spinning on gravel.  A baby was crying for a long time as well.  Some people walked down some metal stairs with sandals on and opened the creaking sliding door on the other side of the yard.  Many times I heard a metallic clang and creak as a distant gate was opened.  At one point, I heard a large thump as something fell.  Since the chair I was in had wheels, they made noise as I shifted and made the chair creak.  At one point, my dog came out and began to drink water.  Its claws also made a clacking sound on the tile.  Since I had a cold, I coughed interrupting all the other sounds.  Throughout the hour, I heard insect noises.  Near the end, I rustled the paper I was writing notes on.  I also heard the telephone ring and many distant conversations.  I was also hearing music in my head as I sat there.  At the very end, everything seemed to freeze and I only heard ringing silence.
    I also saw many things while I sat in my backyard.  I saw the green and brown grass full of small white and brown lumps of dog feces.  I also saw the watering hose lying like a green snake with a white patch on it at one end of the yard.  I saw an old, yellow, rusted bike leaning on the cream colored wall.  I saw a red tennis ball that had blue and white splotches on it lying in the middle of the yard.  The earth was damp and dark brown and littered with yellow leaves.  I saw the dark sky with white, blinking stars staring down.  I saw my reflection in the dark glass window and shadows moving on the second and third stories.  I saw the dog wandering aimlessly around the yard when it came out.  The leaves on the tree and most of the raspberry plant were green with a yellowish or reddish tint on the edges.  To my left, there was a bunch of red flowers that almost glowed in the dark.  I saw a small plant with long green and yellow leaves with a red and yellow flower bud rising above it.  I saw a couple moths moving, as well.  One white one fluttered around the yard for a while and then left.  The other one, that had a grey color, was darting at the light bulb above me.  I saw a bright red cutting board in the kitchen with photographs on the refrigerator and apple stickers on the cupboards.  I also saw some books sitting on the table inside and saw the lights of a car going up the hill.  I saw reddish-brown and black tile surrounding the yard with white tile in the center.
    In conclusion, I saw, heard, tasted, touched, smelled, and felt many things in my backyard.  Afterwards, I thought that there was a lot going on there, even when I didn’t think about it.  I think it’s worth sitting in your backyard assimilating everything you can.  It will amaze you!

No comments:

Post a Comment