Oh no! Please, don’t! Don’t throw me out! I may be all torn up and may not fit anymore, but, please don’t get rid of me. Remember all the good times that we had. Remember all the things we did together. All the sports and walking we did. Let me refresh your memory a little.
Remember that basketball tournament last year? I helped you run around that court faster than anyone else. I helped you win all those rebounds. I helped you score that winning three-point shot. We felt so ecstatic after that. I helped you jump around and celebrate the victory. After the game, I helped you run out to your mom’s car and go to the restaurant with your teammates. We had a lot of fun, and the mustard you spilt on me will help me remember that day forever.
Remember the day we went hiking in the woods with your family? Your brother fell in the river and everyone rushed to help him. Thanks to me, you were the first one there. I helped you steady yourself along a tree while your brother held onto a branch you handed him. Then I helped you use your legs to pull him out of that raging river. Your dad was so proud of us that day. The small tear I got while helping you out will remind me of that day forever.
Remember the rock climbing you did in the state park? When you were half way up the wall, your hands slipped. I didn’t, though. I held onto the grooves in the rock and helped you pull yourself back up to the wall and get to the top. We felt great there, didn’t we? My broken laces will remind me of that time for a long time.
Remember the track meet we had last fall? We ran the hundred-yard dash. We had trained hard for almost five months before for this meet. When the time came, we dashed out when the bang came and crossed the finish line in first place. We felt like we were walking on clouds that day. My worn out soles will remind me of that great victory for years to come.
Remember that summer afternoon a couple of weeks ago? We went out with your girlfriend and took a walk on the beach. We decided to race her. In the middle of the race, she fell and twisted her ankle. I helped you carry her to her house. She thanked you and gave you a kiss. That was glorious, wasn’t it? The sand in me will help me remember that always.
See? We did a lot of things together. I helped you every time you needed a little push. Now you want to throw me away? Why? What else could I have done? I did everything you wanted. I may be worn out, and falling apart, but at least keep me because of the memories I hold. I’m only an old pair of sneakers that don’t seem to fit anymore in your dreams and memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment